You can file an Internet appeal for a Social Security disability or SSI claim denial online through the Social Security Administration (SSA)’s website. The website makes it relatively straightforward, walking you through the entire process, though you will probably have to submit physical copies of your supporting documents.
The online appeal process is available to you whether you are seeking Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and whether the government denies you for medical or non-medical reasons. Before starting the process, you might want to speak with Social Security disability lawyers about your denial and how to approach your appeal to give you the best chance of a successful outcome.
The attorneys at the Disability Advantage Group, focus on Social Security disability. Our goal is to help you win the benefits you deserve as quickly as possible, whether you are applying for the first time or trying to reverse a denial. To schedule a free claim evaluation with a member of our team, call us at 865-566-0800.
How to Start Your Online Appeal of an SSDI or SSI Denial
To start your appeal for SSDI or SSI benefits, visit the SSA’s website at SSA.gov. From there, navigate to the correct application for appeal by clicking the following links:
- On the main screen of gov, click the “Menu” tab at the top, and then under the “Benefits” heading click the link that says “Disability.”
- You will end up on a page labeled “Disability Benefits.” Look on the right side of your screen for a list of links under the heading “Related Information.” From that list, select the link that says “Appeal a Decision.”
- The following page will give you three choices, each marked by a large blue rectangular button: Appeal Medical Decision, Continue an Appeal You Already Started, and Appeal Other Decision. You can also check the status of an appeal you have already submitted.
- Click on the appropriate button and start the process.
The Information You Need to Complete Your Online Appeal
Before appealing denied SSDI claims, make sure you have all the supporting documentation on hand that you will need. The strength of your supporting evidence can make or break your appeal, so you want to make sure it is thorough and compelling.
Gather the following and have it with you when filling out your online appeal:
- Updated medical records, doctors’ notes, treatment logs, and lab test results.
- A list of your current medications.
- Explanations of any changes in your medical condition since your initial application.
- Updates on your work status, education, and daily activities.
- Any other supporting documentation you or your attorney feel are necessary or will help your appeal. Call us at 865-566-0800 if you have any further questions.
How to Fill Out the Online Appeal
Filling out your appeal online is a pretty straightforward process. The website prompts you for each piece of information it needs.
You only fill out two or three pieces of information on each page (for instance, name, address, and phone number), and it automatically saves as soon as you click to “Go to the Next Page.” That means if you get stuck or have to take a break from the application for any reason, you do not have to start over when you return to it.
Expect the entire process to take between 40 and 60 minutes. When you are finished, your appeal enters the review queue. The SSA will contact you if they need any additional information or have any questions about your appeal.
Other Ways to Appeal the SSA’s Decision
If you decide not to appeal online, the SSA offers a couple of other ways to do so.
Print and mail the forms. You can find the documents you need to print and fill out on the “Forms” page of the SSA’s website. Print them, fill them out, attach your supporting documents (you can print a cover sheet for those as well from the SSA’s site), and mail everything to your local SSA office.
If you print your forms from the website, just be sure you print the correct ones. Your denial notice will let you know what kind of appeal you need to file.
Call the SSA. You can reach the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. Let them know you prefer not to file your appeal online and that you do not have a way to print the forms. They can either mail you the forms or schedule an interview.
Call to Schedule a Free Consultation With a Social Security Disability Attorney
The attorneys at the Disability Advantage Group, can help you build a robust and convincing disability appeal. We want to help you win the benefits you deserve. To schedule a free claim evaluation with one of our team members, call us at 865-566-0800 today.