Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a government-run disability program. The Social Security Administration (SSA) administers the program and reserves monthly benefits for those with limited incomes and little in assets.
To apply for these benefits, you have several options. The most convenient choice is to apply for SSI online, but to do so, you must meet certain requirements. Otherwise, you can apply over the phone or schedule an appointment to interview in person at a local Social Security field office.
Before doing any of this, it is a good idea to speak with a disability attorney from the Disability Advantage Group. The application process is complex. It is easy to make small errors or omissions that result in a denial when you should have received an approval from the SSA. We can make sure your application is thorough, complete, and compelling. Call us at 865-566-0800 for a free consultation.
How Do I Know If I Can Apply for SSI Online?
First, you need to meet SSI eligibility requirements from the SSA. To qualify for the program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident and you reside in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands;
- You are either 65 years or older, partially or fully blind, or have a medical disabilitythat prevents you from working;
- Your income is below the SSI’s limit for the area you live; and
- You have less than $2,000 in assets—if single—or $3,000 in assets—if a married couple.
Note that you may exclude certain types of income and certain assets when you report your finances to the SSA. We can help you determine if you meet the financial qualifications to draw SSI benefits.
If you want to apply online, you must also meet these additional requirements:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 65;
- You are not married and have never married in the past;
- You cannot be blind;
- You must be a first-time applicant who has never previously received SSI; and
- You are applying for Social Security Disability Insurance(SSDI) at the same time as SSI.
What If I Am Not Eligible to Apply for SSI Online?
If you do not meet the requirements to apply online, the SSA offers two additional options to submit your application. If you prefer the convenience of applying from home, you can do so via phone by calling the SSA toll-free at 800-772-1213.
Alternatively, you can apply in person by scheduling an appointment at a local Social Security office. There, a field representative will conduct an interview with you. We recommend you bring an attorney to your appointment to make sure you receive all of the disability benefits for which you qualify.
How Can I Schedule a Free Consultation With a Disability Attorney?
Before you begin the SSI application process, speak with a disability attorney to make sure you have everything you need to apply. The legal team at the Disability Advantage Group, offers free consultations to evaluate your claim and offer advice. Call us at 865-566-0800 to set up your appointment.